Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Review: Specs and Features are Fantastic Except for the Installed Android OS

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Hands-On Review: Almario already wrote about the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Free Software Update Download in the previous post. Like other Xperia X10 owners, I was hoping that the software upgrade would have included the Android OS 2.1 (Eclair) or better yet, Android 2.2 Froyo update. The first problem I have noticed with with the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is its old Android OS. I cannot download and play some free apps on Xperia X10 via the Android Market and this is annoying to me. However, judging the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 specs and features, this android phone rocks!


However, there is also one constraint why budget-conscious buyers won’t buy the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 – it’s expensive. The price Sony Ericsson’s flagship phone is more than US$600. For many buyers, this is not an affordable android phone. The high cost of this device is most probably the reason why it did not sell well in Europe. As posted, the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 was Sony’s attempt to sell more of their products in the continent especially in the UK. This is a cheaper model, that’s why.
I have explored a lot of functions of the phone. I have also downloaded some 30 free apps for my Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. With its 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, I can say that before the software update, the phone becomes sluggish for a while. After the upgrade, it seems the processing of apps is smooth. The capacitive touchscreen is good but compared to our3rd Gen iPod Touch 32GB, Apple’s baby is still better. This only shows that Apple’s Touch Technology is still better than Sony Ericsson’s and this is why I’m dying to have my iPhone 4 this coming week.
I just don’t like how difficult it is to customize or personalize the Xperia X10. I cannot find themes that have presets (ringtones, wallpapers, screensavers, etc.) that are common in Nokia smartphones. There is no shortcut to locking the phone. To lock the Xperia X10, you’ll have to set the timeout value for the screen to lock. Watching videos and listening to music using Xperia X10 are two of the best things you can do with this phone. The sound quality is great and the audio (during voice calls) is very clear, especially when using the earphone (hand-free mode) is on. Playing games on X10 is also very fun. It’s fast and feels like using a micro-computer or a mini-PSP. Typing is also easy because the touchscreen is very responsive. I use the Standard Keyboard when composing emails and text messages because there are functions in the Standard Keyboard that are not present in the Android Keyboard like the left and right buttons – much like the arrow keys on your PC’s keyboard.
There are so many things I could say and blog about this phone but for now I’ll have to organize them by topics. I will update this review as soon as possible so others can learn from them. For now, if you have problems with your Xperia X10, consult your “User Guide”. This is the Help File that will give you the guidance you need to properly operate your phone and know some of its non-obvious functions.

Comments