New Wii may come with Blu-ray, 1080p support

Obsolescence, thy name is dilemma! Now that leaks are saying the reimagined Wii coming up in Q3 2010--which is just a blink away--will likely sport a Blu-ray drive, I'm at a loss. Do I toss out my current Nintendo console? What good is my standalone Blu-ray player then? Well, the first piece of good news, if it's not bogus, is that Nintendo will be offering trade-in deals on the original consoles.

The second good news, again based on alleged specs from an internal source at Nintendo France, is support for 1080p games and movies--a move which will finally prompt me to cave and trade in my perfectly working CRT for an HDTV panel. Lastly, it will be a simultaneous worldwide launch, which is brilliant for us in this part of the world. No more waiting in line for Japan to get dibs, followed by the US and Europe, before taking its sweet time getting to us in this corner of Asia.

Though by the time the Wii 2 comes out, Microsoft's Project Natal and a possible PlayStation 4may well muddy the buying decision by creating an even bigger purchase dilemma! Ah, the perils of a tech shopper.

Via MaxConsole

Comments